eBay Money Back guarantee is a new scheme that replaces the older Buyer’s Protection Program.
The new money back guarantee scheme promises the buyer to cover the cost of the item plus shipping and issue the buyer a full refund if anything goes wrong.
How to Claim Under eBay’s Money Back Guarantee Program?
Before you can claim you need to follow a few steps. There are three main steps that you will need to follow.
I will mention each step briefly and then teach you how to follow each step.
The three main steps are:
1. Reach out to your seller
2. Not resolved, let eBay know
3. eBay will get your money back fast
Now let us further dig each of the above step.
1. Reach Out to Your Seller
Some of the problems among the buyers and sellers are genuine without any bad intention. Things can go wrong beyond the control of the seller and buyer. For instance, missing post, damage in transit, wrong deliveries, delayed post, wrong package, payment miss-allocated and lot more other reasons.
In case of such genuine issues, it is often easy to possibly sort the issue by contacting the seller. In most cases the issue is generally sorted out amicably. eBay, therefore, emphasizes to contact the seller before any other step is taken.
Here is a step by step instruction on how to reach out to your seller.
1. Type in the following url in your browser’s page.
And then press enter.
2. Next click on the get started button or the link which says get in touch with your seller. This will take you the eBay’s resolution center.
3. On the resolution page check the reason for your opening the case. You have four options to check any of them from depending upon your case. The first two options are for buyers while the other two options are for seller.
- You have not received the item.
- The item does not match the description.
- You did not receive payment or
- You and the buyer agreed to cancel the transaction.
Check the box that applies to you.
4. Then click continue.
If your problem is not mentioned, there is a link next to the continue button and it will open a new page which lists many other problems where you can select the one that applies to you.
5. After you click continue, you will be shown a list of all the items you recently purchased. Select the item that you want to contact the seller about.
6. Click the item and then click view order details.
7. On this page you will be given three options to
⦁ Leave Feedback
⦁ Contact Seller
⦁ Return Item
As you are trying to contact the seller click on the contact seller link.
8. You will be taken to another page where you will be prompted to select from a few options. For the purpose of this example, we select the option which says ” I haven’t received the my item yet.”
Once you select the above, eBay will automatically start searching for answers.
Leave this here because the item we selected delivery date is 28.08.2014 so we cannot take screen shots.
2. Not Resolved Let eBay Know
If you have already communicated with the seller and you could not reach any settlement, the next step is to open a case in eBay’s resolution center.
- Click on the item from you page of items you recently purchased.
- Click open case
- Check from the box the option whether you want full refund or want another item.
- Enter a phone number
- Check the option yes or no to share or not your phone number with the seller.
- Write a note to the seller in the message box
- Check the button that says I reviewed what I have written above and confirm that it is accurate.
- Click submit button.
Next you will receive a message that you have opened a case and that the seller has been notified.
eBay will also give a deadline and if the seller does not respond by the deadline, then you can ask eBay customer support for refund. If you are covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee, then you will get a refund.
You will also receive a message that you opened a case.
3. You Will Get Your Money Back Fast
This is the last step and you do not have to do anything unless you are contacted by eBay or the seller for any queries.
eBay will try to contact you within 48 hours and if you are covered will refund the money along with the shipping cost.
How Do You Qualify for eBay Money Back Guarantee?
The money back guarantee stipulates that a purchase must meet certain requirement to qualify for the protection. Here are some of the requirements that must be met before a claim is granted in favor of a buyer.
- Non-receipt of item
- Item not as described
- One of these checkout used
- PayPal Credit
- Credit or debit card
- Single payment
- The buyer must provide a copy of the seller’s invoice
- The buyer must provide proof of payment
What Items Are Not Covered Under eBay’s Money Back Guarantee
Not all transactions are covered by eBay Money Back guarantee. A buyer loses his protection if the above requirements are not met.
In addition to the above, there are certain reasons that that are not covered by the MBG. These are
- Buyer’s remorse
- Damage during pick up or shipping
- Duplicate claims
- Shipped to a different address
Items Not Covered Under Money Back Guarantee
There are certain items which are excluded from the money back protection. These include:
- Real Estate
- Websites and Businesses for Sale
- Classified Ads
- Some Business Equipment’s
- eBay Wholesale Deals
What About Counterfeit Items?
There are some counterfeit scams by a few sellers on eBay. If you have been a victim of the counterfeit item scam, then you are eligible to be refunded under the eBay Money Back Guarantee.
In this case, the buyer is not required to return the item to the seller. Once eBay establishes that the item is fake, the buyer agrees to properly dispose the item. The buyer is refunded and eBay gets reimbursed by the seller.
There are certain time limits for the MBG to work. Here are a few guidelines:
You should only report after the estimated time for delivery has passed. For instance, if the estimated time for delivery is 28 August, you cannot file the claim before that date has passed.
You should claim within 30 days once the estimated for delivery has passed. For instance, if an item estimated delivery date is 28 August, you must file the case by 27 September.
You cannot ask eBay to step in before the expiry of the 3 business days for the seller to respond.
If you don’t hear anything from the seller, you must ask eBay to step in before the expiry of 30 days.